Friday, August 26, 2016

Sometimes You're Just Tired

Yesterday was back and biceps.  I'm still traveling to the Columbia Gym while Supreme Sports has it's two week "shut down" for maintenance and renovation.  I worked hard and fast.  It's hard to campare reps and poundages on anything but barbell exercises because slight diffreence in machines can make comparisons tough..  Nevertheless, I did good.

My intent after driving home was to do a 3.5 mile run followed by a few sprints for form and then finish with a 500 yard swim..  Somehow, the twenty minutes it took me to drive home and then change into my running/swimming gear caused me to lose my "momentum."  I was able to complete my run fairly comfortably, but the 97 degree heat index took a bit more of a toll than I thought. 

After finishing my last sprint, which felt great with good extension and range of motion, I turned to head to the pool and was just overcome with the feeling that, "this is too much."  I considered for a moment and then decided that I was indeed just too tired to have a productive swim. 

I walked home, had my post recovery meal, stretched and used the foam roller for a few minutes and then just crashed.  I was just really tired for the rest of the evening and headed to bed at 9:00 grateful that I had heeded my notion to skip the swim.

If this had been even 2 or 3 years ago, I would have pressed on with the swim.  But, I have gotten just a bit wiser over the past 18 months.  I have always been in tune to what my body has been telling me, but often just pressed through.  Now I listen and a recover better than ever. 

Let's hope the new found wisdom pays off in the long run.  Sometimes you're just tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment