Monday, August 29, 2016

Always be Within Striking Distance

It's back to my "home gym" Supreme Sports today.  I did like the equipment at the Columbia Gym, but living about 200 yards from the Supreme parking lot makes the choice a "no brainer." Legs are on tap today with a bit of cycling and rowing to finish up.  Starting next week, I may include some swimming as a final bit of my routine on leg day. I'm still considering some competition in the shorter swimming events.

The local schools started today so I expect a few less High Schoolers to be in the free weight area when I show up today.  Not that I mind them being around, but the place has a different atmosphere when it's just the regulars.

I didn't do any training this past weekend, restricting my exercise to 2 walks on both Saturday and Sunday, totaling about 4 miles on Saturday and 3 yesterday.  I feel recovered.  I had played with the idea of a short run and swim before dinner yesterday, but opted for the short walk instead.

I'm looking at a couple of Pro bodybuilding contests later this Fall.  I'm sitting at about 6% body fat having brought it down from about 8% over the past 8 weeks. I always lose very slowly, even when it's only a couple of pounds, ensuring that I don't lose strength or any precious muscle size as a prep.  I could compete at this weight, but am within a couple of weeks of truly ripped condition if I do decide to go for it.

I like to always be within 5 pounds of contest weight, so that I can prep quickly and without much effort, if the mood strikes.  Some contend that you can't get bigger and stronger at such a low body fat level.  I believe that its calories and macros that make the difference no matter what particular body fat level you're at. So if I'm eating to gain, I will gain, even while maintaining single digit body fat.

Always be within striking distance, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment