Monday, August 22, 2016

Self Doubt is Always an Issue

It's been two weeks since I last wrote anything for this blog.  Part of the issue is that it looks like nobody is reading and part of the issue is that I was experiencing extreme self doubt after the somewhat boastful proclamations in  my previous entry on my strategy.

I have decided that the first issue is not going to block me because I am writing this mostly for myself as a motivational tool, as described in my first entry.  The self doubt is also no longer going to keep me from writing either because, it is always there, even on the days when I/you seem unbeatable.  It's the pressing on, even when you feel the doubt that makes the difference between winners and losers.  In a sense its a "fake it til you make it" kind of philosophy which I have always found to be extremely useful.

Now, I am sure that there are folks who truly, in their heart of hearts, don't have any self doubt.  They are extremity rare and in most cases delusional. I have always been very open minded, open to new ideas, an insatiable reader and learner and, as a result, am often in a position of knowing how much I don't know, even when I'm the most knowledgeable person in the room.  The more you know, the more you doubt.  A paradox, I know, but there you have it.

As well, I understand my genetic limitations and what I have to work with.  Nevertheless, I think it is enough to do what I am setting out to do if I stick with the process of constant improvement and don't try to over-reach.

As an aside, I should mention that I'm working out in a new gym both last week and this week, as the Supreme Sports Club is shut down for it's annual renovation.  I am gettng good workouts at the Columbia Gym but don't like the drive to get there.  Also, my long swim last week was my best ever. 

As a result, I am now thinking about adding a 50 meter swim to my list of competitive activities.  What started as a means to an end, getting better at swimming to enable me to surf and maybe to a sprint triathlon, may now be an end in itself. I'll do a time trial later this Fall to see what I can do.

No limits! (my new sign off)

No comments:

Post a Comment