Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Be Consistent but Flexible

I got home from work yesterday still on an emotional high from orchestrating a successful pitch at a cross-organizational meeting.  As I was changing to head to the gym, I mentioned to my wife that I had to keep moving because I knew I would soon have a crash from the physical and emotional intensity I had mustered to carry the day.  She suggested I skip the gym and accompany on a slow bike ride to one of our favorite coffee spots and play a round or two of cards.

In the past, I would have responded with an immediate "no," but now I was able to stop and consider.  I had already done 1800 stairs and walked five miles at work day during my hourly jaunts to decompress and think, the ride itself would be about 7 miles on fixed gear beach cruisers, it was a beautiful dry day after weeks of intense heat and humidity, and my wife is my life. After a short pause, I replied that it sounded great.  And, great it was.  I enhanced my relationship with my wife, I enjoyed the day, and the exrecise was quite enough.

I'll get back into sync today with the "leg day" that was planned for yesterday and do my Thursday and Friday workouts as scheduled.  The two things I will end up missing are a medium distance run and a long swim, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I always say "consistency is king" and no matter how long you have been working out, it's always easy to talk yourself out of a workout.  Generally, I only miss a workout once every month or two, but I am open and flexible when it comes to those "golden opportunities" to do something else that makes my life even better.

Balance is always harder than an "all or nothing" approach for me,  At the same time, I have come to better embrace a flexible consistency that provides greater overall satisfaction and, by extension, even better fitness and performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment