Monday, September 12, 2016

The Possibility of Injury is Never Far Away.

I ran into Sanjay Ayre at the gym on Thursday.  He's an Olympic Gold medalist (Sidney Games) from Jamaica.  I see him a couple of times per year.  Since he's a 400 meter guy, I asked if he'd take a look at my forma and give me some tips, some time in the next couple of weeks.

Track and Field is one of the areas where I aim to compete. 200, 400, long jump, and possibly the javelin.  Talking with Sanjay and getting a feel for what kinds of times and distances would be competitive in the 60-65 year old age group got me fired up.  I think I am close right now and with a little work, may be able to do well.  My aim in most of the sports I'm targeting is to do well, not necessarily win.  It's the "all roundedness" I'm after and. to my way of thinking and assessing" the better indicator of athleticism.

Particularly for the sprints and jumping, staying healthy enough to practice and compete is going to be the hardest thing to do.  More-so than using ultimate strength, trying to use ultimate speed, at my age, seems to lead to more tweaks and injury.  Long and through warm-ups and lots of foam rolling and self massage seems to help, but being vigilant is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment