Friday, September 23, 2016

Catch Up

I find it hard to believe that its been almost two weeks since I last posted.  I really thought my enthusiasm was going to get me to write something almost every day.  Nevertheless, I'm back with a short catch-up post.

I have been able to get all of my workouts in over the past two weeks and believe I hit the right balance, working hard enough to stimulate increasing fitness without getting into the area of over-training.  I will say, I have been more than normally fatigued over the past two weeks, so have been really focused on staying within my recovery zone.

I had a treatment from my accupunturist this past Monday and it seems to have improved both my overall mood and my energy levels.  I find that energy, for me, is more often tied to my emotional state than to any changes in workload, nutrition, or recovery.  That emotional state seems to just run in cycles without apparent connection to real world events or stressors.  So I just need to ride-out the low points in the cycle and stick with my routines, albeit in a conscious, controlled manner.

I do believe that this most recent bout of "depression" was fueled by "decision fatigue" related to whether or not I want to retire this year and what, specifically, I want to do in the first couple of years of my retirement. I have not reached any firm decisions but have been able to put the constant mental grappling on the "back burner."

On a training note, I'm going to start doing some trampoline work this afternoon in preparation for the upcoming snowboard season.  I can practice several dozen grabs and spins in 15 or 20 minutes, numbers that might take a couple of hours in the terrain park.

No comments:

Post a Comment