Wednesday, May 9, 2018

On Track for Summer Competition

Training update:

The last month or two has produced some good results. I am getting into the gym on a regular basis and my eating has been on point, at least 95% of the time. I am slowly dropping a bit of the excess body fat that I had accumulated over the past year and I'm now sitting at about 7 1/2%. My foam rolling, self massage, and mobility work are paying off. Most of the nagging injuries I have experienced over the past several years seem to be dissipating noticeably. More than anything, that puts me in a positive mood.

Competition update:

At the moment, I am looking at doing a bodybuilding contest in early August, and am on track. As well, I will be joining USA Track and Field and will be looking at one or two masters track meets over the next 3 to 4 months. 

If I am feeling particularly ambitious, I will be joining USA Swimming and will be looking to do one or two swim meets, probably near the end of the summer, when I have had a chance to accumulate some outdoor swimming technique sessions.

Tip of the week:

One of the things that I always recommend to my health coaching clients is to increase vegetable consumption. Ideally, I'd like to see folks eat 2 cups of vegetables with each meal and trying to ensure that there is a lot of variability in the vegetables they use. 

To that end, for myself, I have recently been adding more chopped vegetables into my morning post-workout eggs. I started about six months ago adding a handful of spinach to my scrambled eggs and have recently been adding a half a cup of chopped mushrooms and onions. It not only makes the breakfast tastier, but much healthier with additional micro nutrients. Constant, small improvements are the best way to continuously improve your health and fitness. Relentless but forgiving is the mantra I use for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment